Sunday, May 28, 2017

1 Week Left...


I never thought I would be writing this post...or maybe I never wanted to imagine my exchange ending.  Well here it is, 1 week left in my 10 month journey in Argentina.  I cannot describe what I am feeling right now.  Obviously it is a bittersweet experience. I feel excited and content to be leaving but also scared, sad and uncertain of the future.  Despite the complex mixture of feelings accumulating in my head, I feel ready to go. But even thinking about getting on that plane to Denver puts a lump in my throat.

I am now living with my third host family and am best friends with my host sister who also went on exchange (to the US). I was talking to my host mom about leaving and the first thing she tells me is how I will suffer when I get home, just like her daughter.  Going home can be just as hard if not harder than leaving your home country on exchange.  I have gotten used to the rhythm of life, the culture and the language here and it will be hard readjusting to everything that I left 10 months ago.

What I find interesting about exchange is the evolution of questions that you are asked throughout the year,  At the beginning the questions come in the form of, "Do you like Argentina?" or "Have you tried *insert typical Argentinian food* ?"  The questions quickly changed to "How much time do you have left?" and "In the United States is there *insert item* ?" Recently I started getting questions like "Did you like Argentina?" "What was your favorite part?" "Do you want to go or stay longer here?"All of the questions I am being asked are as if my exchange has already ended.  It is honestly a very weird feeling.  The best response I have for everyone is "No estoy listo para irme al mismo tiempo lo estoy." Which translates to I not am ready to go but at the same time I am.

One of my best friends that is doing her exchange in San Juan (Maud from Belgium), Argentina where I went to visit here and take a test in Spanish.  I remember talking to her about leaving and trying to explain to people the feelings one has about leaving a place you have loved but also going back home to all of the comforts that have been absent in your life for so long.  We decided the feeling was best described in one sentence; we are ready to return but not ready to leave our homes behind.  Here in Argentina all of the exchange students have made it their home, including myself.  When I leave, I am leaving one home to return to the other.

I am constantly being asked what I liked most about Argentina.  The answer is simple, the people.  The people of Argentina are like none I have ever met in my life.  They are unbelievably caring, social, honest and have the biggest hearts.  They are very matter of fact and do not hold back with what they have to say.  They are hilarious, always cracking jokes and laughing through their lives. Everyone and their great grandma curses and they can curse you out like no other people I know. They are the most loving people you will meet and for that reason I will never forget my experience here.

With a week left on my exchange, it does not seem like  enough time to say all of my goodbyes. It seems like now pictures and distant memories make up a year of adventure and exploration in my life.  But more so, my exchange is characterized by the relationships I have made and maintained. I could not be more grateful for everyone of my friends and family and what they have done for me.

I don't know when I will be back, but I hope soon. 


No sé cuándo volveré, pero espero que pronto

Te extrañaré



❤Gracias por todo ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment